This status update is a little earlier than our usual end-of-month report because the team will be taking a well-earned break to spend time with family and friends over the holiday and new year period. As a result, we've got less to report than in past months; however, some significant progress and improvements have been made.
What we've done
- We continued to fine tune Briefcase's recently added test mode. This reflects issues that have been discovered as we continue to build Toga's GUI test suite.
- We updated Briefcase's Web backend to support changes made in the 2022.12.1 release of PyScript.
- We fixed a bug preventing the use of local file references in requirements when building Linux AppImages. As a side effect, this change also makes it much easier to get a debug session inside the Docker container used to build AppImages.
- We merged the first draft of the Toga GUI testbed. There is still a lot of work to be done on this testbed, but it provides a solid foundation on which we can build tests of Toga's cross-platform GUI behavior.
- We added support for mouse events on the Canvas on GTK.
- We corrected a bug on Windows where local date formats would cause the DateInput widget to crash.
- We fixed a bug in Rubicon that would cause background threads to stall on iOS.
There won't be much more progress from the core team for the rest of this year. We'll still be around to handle critical problems, answer questions and do code reviews for contributors; but our response times might be a little slower than normal. We'll publish our Q1 2023 roadmap when we return in January - but we'll be largely picking up where this year has left off - improving the testing story for Toga.
Want to get involved?
Want to get involved? Here are some open issues that would be a great place to get started with contributing to a BeeWare project. They're all relatively minor changes, but would provide a big improvement to the lives of BeeWare users:
- Modify the handling of app signing options
- Filter out a message generated after Xcode updates
- Add the ability to refresh the support package in a project
- Provide protection against creating projects with "semi-reserved" names
- Add the ability to configure the ABIs built by an Android project
- Add support for the ANDROID_HOME environment variable
- Purge cache folders when installing app code in Briefcase
Pick one of these tickets, drop a comment on the ticket to let others know you're looking at it, and try your hand at a PR! We have a guide on setting up a Briefcase development environment; but if you need any additional assistance or guidance, you can ask on the ticket, or join us on the BeeWare Discord server.
- Entrée suivante
- 2023Q1 Roadmap
- Entrée précédente
- November 2022 Status Update